2019 Ainehome Furniture Store Performance Report

2019 Ainehome Furniture Store Performance Report

2019 Furniture Store Performance Report

HIGH POINT

— Stationary upholstery occupied 22% of furniture stores’ selling space in 2019, down 2% from last year, but still the largest share of any category.Stationary and motion upholstery account for 17% and 9%, respectively, of total sales this year. Motion chairs’ share of the sales floor and of the sales pie both dipped slightly from last year, falling from 8% to 5% in both metrics.

ADVERTISEMENT



 Master bedroom is the second largest category in terms of selling space at 16%, but punches above its weight, comprising 19% of total salesBedding accounts for 10% of selling space and 12% of total sales.
 

Formal dining narrowly tops casual dining for share of selling space at 8% vs. 6%, respectively. Both categories account for 7% of total sales each.

Decorative accessories — including area rugs, lamps, mirrors, lighting fixtures and more — take up 5% of the sales floor and contribute to 6% of total sales. The other occasional category, including bar carts, drink tables, curious, accent chests, ottomans, among others, accounts for both 2% of the sales floor and total sales.
 

Overall, 84% of total revenue is derived from merchandise sales on average, with other services led by delivery and design accounting for the remaining 16%. Selling space also comprises 84% of total space, with the remaining 16% dedicated towards all other space, including storage, storehouse and utilities.

Sales people — pay and retention

Full-time salespeople are paid in a variety of ways by furniture stores. An hourly-plus-commission model is the most popular among responding stores, with 29% using this method. Two other compensation models — salary-plus-commission and salary-only — are each used by 28% of furniture stores.

The sales associate retention rate, a new metric gathered by Furniture Today, was 78%. The median sales associate tenure is 10 years.

Efficiency measures

Furniture stores’ gross margin percentage was up this year, from 47% in 2018 to 50% this year.

Stock turns were down from a median of four times last year to three times this year.

Social media advertising spend rockets

Advertising spending is on the rise this year, as 10% of annual sales go to the advertising budget, up from 6% last year. Within the advertising spend, the percentage spent on social media has more than tripled, from 6% last year to 19% this year, to make it the most popular advertising channel.

Direct mail is the second most-popular at 15%, while TV, the third largest advertising source, has plummeted from 42% last year to only 13% of ad dollars going towards it this year.

Radio has edged up, from 5% last year to 11% this year, and Internet and search engine ads have held steady at 10%.

Newspaper dollars account for 8% of the ad budget this year, down from last year.

Furniture stores are spending more to advertise through special events, however, as they are up from 4% last year to 7% this year.

Ainehome-Online Furniture Store in USA:


Shop cheap home leather sectional sofas and recliner sets online at discount price.We offer good quality fashionable and affordable sectional sofas and recliner sets for home in USA. Online buy cheap home sectional sofas at Ainehome is your best chioce.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top